Thursday, January 21, 2010

Movements 3 and 4

I recently had a discussion with my thesis advisor and my ASM and a heart-to-heart with myself about the general outline and progression of my this. My original plan was to choreograph the piece in 5 movements to show the development of a poet's creative process. In this scheme, the piece reconstructed from last spring's Dance Works concert was going to be the 2nd movement. However, in my meeting with my advisor I realized that this piece is a completed, finished work and in order for this to be believable as part of a creative process it would have to occur at the end to demonstrate the poet's final achievement of a complete, polished poem. After coming to this conclusion, I am currently working with the following model, which is tentative and may in fact change again:

Movement 1: A solo by Nisha, the poet figure, with fragments of movement by the rest
of the cast to represent a poet's initial ideas and inspirations when
creating a new work
Movement 2: A series of 3 duets (Hannah & Tal, Lydia & Komal, and Alyson & Julie) to
represent a poet's initial success as she effectively puts together short
series of phrases but cannot yet create a complete poem
Movement 3: A chaotic breakdown performed by my entire cast to show what happens
when a poet experiences writer's block and feels that her creations are
battling against her and falling apart
Movement 4: The repertory piece performed by the full cast that shows a resolution
that occurs when the poet finally gains a new sense of clarity and
vision that results in a polished work

The following videos are from rehearsal on Wednesday January 20th and demonstrate how much choreography has been taught thus far.



No comments:

Post a Comment